'

Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm Over Grey's Anatomy [Season 9 Premiere]



I'm over Grey's Anatomy.

*sigh*
I know I'm late on posting my reaction to the Season 9 premiere, but who cares? I'm unlikely to commit to anymore of the season, anyway, so who really cares?

Bro, that plane crash was terrible enough. I understand that Grey's is in fact a night time soap opera, and well within its range to pull high drama antics, but this shit has to stop. Every season finale it's something. Remember when the original Melrose Place aired, and every finale promotion was "Someone. Will. Die."

With Grey's Anatomy every finale promo should boom "You. Will. Hate. It."

How long can you really expect your audience to endure this treatment? Yes, Grey's Anatomy is a dramatic show for women who like to watch TV that makes them cry, but it also used to be a fun show. The quick, witty, charming, and honest dialogue is still there - but in lesser degree. Everything is so heavy and intense now. It's like torture.

Our characters are suffering, and it happens so frequently, it's ruining the show.

She's talking about the show, right?

Grey's will probably always be a great way for me to let out a cry when I need to. It's a truly emotional show, and it moves me. The character-relationship-driven storylines are the best thing about it. But I can't cosign any of what's going on now.

They fired Teddy. They killed Lexie. They killed Mark. They didn't explain how they got out of the woods, and they've zapped all the sunshine out of Arizona. Callie is once again scary and mean, and she's crying in storage closets. Bailey is acting like a teenager (I CAN'T). Kristina Yang is out in snowy Minnesota, with Mr. Feeny, (yep, the Mr. Feeny) and Meredith can't fly in planes, and on top of everything OWEN HAS GONE TO RETRIEVE KEPNER!

If the writers brought Kepner back because she's a fan favorite then this is definitely no longer a show I can watch. Kepner is unbearable. The actress is great, I'm sure. But the character of Kepner has been here for at least three years and I still just can not with her.

Look, between my carousel of roommates, jobs, and moronic lovers my real life is roller coaster enough. I need some stability in my favorite programming. I need to gasp out of surprise, and genuine delightful suspense. I should only be moved to cry by identifying with some basic human aspect (so I'll give a point for McSteamy's death....). But you can't keep flinging me around like this Grey's.

This show is super aggro. Why are you punishing your loyal fans for eight years of viewership? Who does that?

No comments: