'

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Power Femme Spotlight: Kerri Lowe



September 5, 2011 - Kerri Lowe in Bushwick, NY. Photo Credit: Lucia Rollow 
Kerri Lowe is an enchanting singer-songwriter from North Carolina with a shy smile, a soft speaking voice, and intense brown eyes. Her music hints at a deeper wisdom than her unassuming mannerisms would lead one to suspect. Something strong and deep about her that draws you into her.

When I sat down with Kerri for the precursor to our interview I knew I was chatting with someone who had stories to tell. The allure of Kerri Lowe is that her stories are hidden inside her, unlocked only by her own hand strumming a guitar.

Lowe's singing voice is smooth, booming with both the hard truth and warm, familiar comfort of life. Every singer or performer brings their own element of reality to their audience, and every delivery is received differently by the individual.

When I hear Kerri sing, something haunts me; a familiar sadness touches and, at the same time, inspires me. I won't lie, I definitely harbor an intellectual girl-crush for Miss Lowe. She's quite the gem when she giggles. And like any good crush she's got an intensity in her eyes that can mean any number of things at any given time.

At the time of this interview Kerri had recently returned from a recording session in her native land with Bill Bartholomew. The two briefly converged on a project aptly titled Kerri & Bill. As of last week I was informed that Kerri & Bill were no longer making music together - their last gig was scheduled for Friday October 14th.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the performance, and apparently Bill couldn't make it either. The good news is their EP was recorded and mastered and is available somewhere for your listening pleasure. The better news is Kerri Lowe has talent and she's not afraid to use it.

In fact, the idea of not using her gift - or treating her ability to write songs and create music as some random fluke - actually grosses her out. But I'll let her tell you about it.



No comments: