'

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Interview & Spotlight: Jessie Richardson Is Addicted To The Internet



Jessie Richardson is usually somewhere in Bushwick
Jessie Richardson is an adventurous and honest curly-haired Brooklyn comedian with a day job. A scan of her more popular Tweets include "NBC's 'Whitney' has been renewed for a second season. On a brighter note, I'm HIV positive." and "Can't tell if the guys next door are winning at beer pong or losing at life."

She has good manners and practical confidence. Swearing isn't part of her shtick, and she doesn’t put herself down for laughs. Jessie says what you’re thinking, or probably would think if you’d spent your time on the internet looking up the same things she does. Recently, just out of curiosity, she ran a Google search to learn whether or not retarded people were legally allowed to marry non-retarded people. Unfortunately, she was unable to tell me the answer. She’d never found it because she got distracted, because that’s how it goes on the web sometimes.

As part of ArtsInBushwick BOS12 this weekend (Sat Jun 2 – Sun 3) Jessie will be premiering her first web-series, aptly titled ‘Jessie Likes This’. The series – which she co-wrote and is producing with her friend Katrin Hier – focuses on the endless foolery which results from everyday interactions online. In one episode Jessie clashes with online haters after Tweeting about Chris Brown as a trending topic. Technology leads to offline trouble, and viral shenanigans ensue. In true DIY fashion Jessie and Katrin are funding the project with donations via viral campaigns such as indiegogo, and eventually - I believe - Kickstarter (which I've posted about before).

Originally from Massachusetts, Jessie arrived in New York in 2005. She spent some time living in the Upper East Side before a friend introduced her to Bushwick. And as is usually the case with creative types, she fell in love with the place. Jessie credits the feeling of tight community as one of the things she likes most about her Brooklyn neighborhood - but I think we both know it’s the cheap rent.

What I enjoyed learning most about Jessie during our sit down was that she's not shy about building with her peers - in fact she's happy to collaborate with others -  and that her dad speaks highly of Mitt Romney. Be sure to check out the premier of 'Jessie Likes This' this weekend. It's going down at 213 Himrod Street from noon on Saturday (6/2) to 7p Sunday (6/3) Below is our Q & A (and video of Jessie in my kitchen!)

Ruth Nineke: What kind of comedic training do you have? Did you take improv at UCB?
Jessie Richardson: Yes, I trained at UCB in improv and sketch comedy writing. I also studied restoration comedy and clowning when I was abroad my junior year of college. I took a stand-up comedy class before I started doing it. It was a birthday present from my mom.  

Meme by Jessie Richardson. #LifeInBushwick
RN: Speaking of training and education - what did you go to school for? Do they have comedy courses in college?
JR: I majored in Theatre & Dance in college. They didn't really have any comedy classes, because my program was very avant garde. I had signed up for an intermediate acting class my sophomore year, and it taught the suzuki method, which is a sort of martial arts-like energy and movement technique. Very bizarre, but interesting. It wasn't until I went abroad that I received any formal training. Between the two programs, I felt like i got a good variety of experience.

RN: Who are some of your biggest influences?
JR: I could talk about famous people you've heard of, but instead I want to mention a couple comics I'm inspired by, whom you probably haven't heard of yet, but you certainly will one day. One is Julian McCullough. He is a fantastic joke writer with original material. He can take one small funny thing and flush it out into a 3-4 minute bit that leaves you in stitches. He is a great watch for younger audiences who generally have trouble relating to the premises presented by stand-up comedians. Plus, he just looks cool on stage.

Another is my friend Justy Dodge. Justy is a girl, by the way, haha. She has the amazing ability to explore her demons and other dark issues on stage, without making people feel uncomfortable or uneasy. She is probably the only comic I know who could make a suicide joke and have the audience rolling with laughter instead of wondering if they should call the suicide hotline on her behalf. Plus, in comedy, sadly there are different expectations from women than there are from men, and us women typically have trouble getting away with being too morbid, vulgar, or crass, but Justy is just like "Fuck it. I am who I am and if you don't want to hear what I have to say, then don't listen." She really breaks the mold.

RN: Tell me about Jessie Likes This... What is it and when/how did this idea come to you?
JR: ‘Jessie Likes This’ came from a Facebook status update, haha. One day I was sitting at my computer, wondering what a sitcom version of my life would look like. I realized I spend an excessive amount of time online and on Facebook, so I updated my status to "If I had a sitcom, it would be called, ‘Jessie Likes This’." A lot of people "liked" it (lolz) and then my friend and fellow comedian, Katrin Hier, and I started riffing about what that sitcom would look like. It was so entertaining, we decided to write it.


RN: Tell me about your people, shout out your homies. Who holds you down when the going gets rough?
JR: I have an amazing group of friends who I am lucky enough to hang out with, almost whenever I want, because most of them live near me. With the exception of my best friend, who recently moved back to Maryland:( They are all artists of one kind or another, and are wise enough not to take themselves too seriously. If I'm in a bad mood, it's almost impossible not to feel uplifted by hanging with them because they are supportive, encouraging, and make me laugh a whole lot. We are a tight crew.

RN: You seem pretty chilled out most of the time, like shit usually just rolls off your back. Have you ever had doubts about doing comedy? How did you overcome them?
JR: Haha, I'm glad I appear chilled-out, because in my head, I'm not. Oh yeah, I've had many doubts. There are a lot of reasons that make comedy a bad career choice. There's the low pay, lack of job security, the road work, dealing with drunk hecklers. However, I just have this feeling that this is what I'm supposed to do, and quite honestly, nothing else interests me as much. Encouragement from other comedians certainly helps as well. A kind word from someone else who knows the business, goes a long way.

RN: Give me some arbitrary details for the road...what's your favorite color? Biggest pet peeve?
JR: Favorite color: blue. Biggest pet peeve: people who have pet peeves. Whenever someone tells me they have a pet peeve and what it is, I always interpret it as some sort of arbitrary rule you have to follow in order to hang out with them. I like to hang out with flexible, easy-going people.






No comments: