'

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gossip Girl - A Not So Sweet Life




I can't with Gossip Girl. 
But then again I can't with a lot of the nonsense I watch.

This is the show's last season, and we're 5 episodes in to a 8 or 10 episode season, and this is what's going on:

Dan is in love with Blair. Like legitimately. I can't even address it. Sure, it was cute and believable last season, watching it happen, watching them work their way toward one another. But now, it's kind of pathetic. Then again,when has Dan not been pathetic in love?

Serena just got dumped by her older boyfriend - Steven, who's got a 17 year old daughter and also slept with her mother one night in a European dungeon after a wedding. While I really appreciate the second half of that, in terms of writing and creativity and setting, I absolutely CAN NOT with the fact that he once boned her mother and they decided to keep seeing each other anyway.

That's gross. (But what's extra gross is they made a joke about having sex to force visuals of him sleeping with her mother out of her head.... I mean...?)

Then we have Rufus shacking up with Ivy. I sort of felt for Ivy, once upon a time ago. Now it's just gross. Does she really care for Rufus? I can't tell. Maybe. But let's not forget she's still a con artist and a liar. So what if CeCe left her everything and she was close with her before her death? She's still a con artist!

My biggest I CANT is with Serena though. And why should I be surprised, you ask? Because I usually like her. I'm in her corner. She's got daddy issues. It's not her fault she's wickedly gorgeous and can get a boyfriend with the snap of her fingers. I understand these problems because I have them too! But she's so pathetic the way she never wants to let them go. Has she ever heard FERGALICIOUS!?

But does she really need and want a man that desperately, that badly, that she'll do or say whatever it takes to keep them from leaving her? How can she not see what we all see!? She is Serena VanDer Woodsen. She looks good in everything she wears. She can replace a man with the wink of her eye!

It's just deplorable to me that television promotes this. And I know that Gossip Girl is intended as a satire on the absurdity, daftness, and entitlement of wealthy people who honesty have nothing to do because they're so rich. I get that Blair truly is a caricature of herself, and Chuck is no different.

I love these two tho... srsly
What does it say not only about programming, but the viewing culture, when the two most ridiculous and overacted characters are actually fan favorites, and the most realistic ones continue to behave like morons? I suppose it says that real people are in fact morons.

Finally, lets address Nathaniel. I CAN NOT EVEN. Six seasons and he's still just as dumb as he is pretty. I love that he's always breaking up with girls he likes because they lie and scheme, and now he's lying (just like his daddy) to preserve his company. He's trying so hard to be the little engine that could because he's so much more than a pretty face. Except he isn't. Nate is just a pretty face and his character would've been much better utilized as a ruthless pretty playboy.

It's the last season, and it's a shit show! Everyone that had a moral compass has lost it. All of Lily's maternal bones have crumbled. And it seems Chuck and Blair - the historically two most selfish people in the UES - are the only ones capable of thinking about the future and trying to do the right thing. Everything is turned on its head here.

Except Georgina. But, duh. I mean she's not as terribly bad as she was before. These days it really all is  in good fun. And she doesn't have to do much anyway, because everyone else is so retarded they unravel themselves...

The only thing I could deal with about last night's episode was that Frank Ocean's Channel Orange was the featured soundtrack: Sweet Life, Lost, Thinking Bout You, and of course Pyramids.

No comments: